Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Labor Day Fun

We had a busy Labor Day weekend, even though things didn't really go exactly the way we had planned.  On Friday, once Josh & I were both done at work for the day, we put the kids in white t-shirts and turned them loose in the back yard with the extra dye packets we had gotten from Run or Dye.  We mainly wanted to see how Liam did with it, because he had asked if he could go next year.  But the reason we didn't take him with us this year was because he’s not as much of a fan of getting really dirty as Zachary is, so we just didn't know how he’d like it.  Turns out, he loved it.  So I think it will be all four of us next time!






 Later that evening, Zachary went to Parents Night Out at the Dojo.  This one was American Gladiator theme, and Zachary had been dying to go.  They charge $25 per kid for a 5-hour event that includes dinner – you can’t even get a babysitter for that!  Liam wasn't interested, so he stayed home and we had a movie night for him.

The next morning, Josh left for Clemson.  My mom came over and we went to the Farmer’s Market, and then we decided to go to the pool – it was SO nice out!  We spent over 2 hours at the pool and pretty much had the place to ourselves.  It was so strange!  I guess everyone was watching football??  The pool was the perfect temperature and I think I stayed in for the whole time we were there.  After we got back and got changed, we turned football on.  Normally, I’m not the kind of person to just watch football games between teams I have no rooting interest in, but it just felt like the thing to do.  And Zachary was in heaven!  We ended up fixing some buffalo chicken dip as an appetizer, and later, we made individual homemade pizzas for dinner.  It was a junk food sort of day!  It was like our own little tailgate party before the Georgia-Clemson game.  The game didn't turn out how we wanted…But it was nice to have football on TV again.  Liam decided around 9:40 that he was ready for bed.  Zachary fell asleep around halftime, but then woke up and made it to the end of the game.  I was impressed.





Sunday & Monday were both sort of a washout.  We had hoped to spend the weekend at the pool, since the pool’s days were numbered.  Josh had gotten back super late from Clemson, so my mom and I took the boys to church so he could sleep in peace.  We decided to let someone else cook breakfast so we went to the Flying Biscuit Café.  My mom and the kids had never been there.  I had been there once but it was a long time ago.  It was really good!  The boys loved it too.  After church Zachary had a play date with his friend Cameron, and then it was mostly just more football the rest of the day.  When it was still raining on Monday, we really didn't know what we were going to do.  The boys started asking about going bowling, so we headed out to the bowling alley in the afternoon.  Liam had never bowled before (only on the Wii), and it had been a while since Zachary had bowled.  Zachary decided he didn't need bumpers – that was a mistake.  He started off pretty good but then got a bunch of gutter balls and got really frustrated and upset.  We asked him if he wanted bumpers in the next game and he said yes.  I think initially he thought bumpers were just for really little kids – but once he saw all the kids around us with bumpers (some of which looked older than him), I think he realized there was no shame in bumpers.  The second game ended much better than the first, with all of us beating our scores from the first game. 




No comments: